About Taylors


Public transport

Public transport is slightly different in every city as each State Government operates the system.

Buses, trains and ferries operate in most Australian cities and run on a strict timetable.

The websites listed below will provide you with details about fares and timetables.

Student concessions

In Sydney, international students are not eligible for student concessions and must pay normal adult fares. We recommend that you buy a weekly or monthly ticket as it is cheaper than buying a ticket per trip.


Taxis are relatively expensive in Australia. Higher rates apply in the evenings, weekend and public holidays.

All taxis in Australia must use the fare meter by law. The flag fall (starting charge) is approximately A$3.00.


Australians drive on the left hand side of the road. The maximum speed limit is between 100 and 110 km/h (62 - 68 mph) outside cities, and 60 km/h (35 mph) in urban areas.

Australia is notorious for its speeding fines, so make sure you keep to the speed limit - although if you really want to let rip you should visit the Northern Territory, where some highways have no speed limit at all!

Seat belts must be worn by drivers and all passengers at all times. The minimum age for driving varies from state to state - make sure you check - but is generally 16 or 17. Car rental companies may require you to be older.

Australian driver licenses are administered at state/territory level, and regulations vary as a result.

If you hold a license to drive a car in your home country and would like to drive in Australia, you will need to get a state license.

You may need to do a practical test unless:

  • you have a New Zealand license; or
  • you hold a current overseas license and have previously held an Australian license - the exact regulations in this area can be complex and vary from state to state
  • you hold a current license issued by an overseas country - including most of the European Union nations, Canada, the USA and Japan - whose licensing system is recognized as similar to Australia's.

Visit the state websites below for more information about driver licensing.


These links will take you to external sites. Sites will open in a separate window, and are in English unless otherwise indicated.


Want to study at Taylors College?

Apply Now

Pay your fees now via our online payment service