About The University of Sydney
The University of Sydney is Australia’s first university. It is also one of the largest universities in Australia with over 47,000 students, including 8,500 international students from over 100 different countries.
Why choose The University of Sydney
1. World class reputation
- One of only three Australian members of the Association of Pacific Rim Universities
- Key member of:
- The Group of Eight (Australia’s major research-intensive, scholarship and teaching universities)
- The Academic Consortium 21
- The Worldwide Universities Network global research alliance.
2. Excellence in teaching
The University of Sydney has a long tradition of excellence in teaching and research, leading Australia in the generation and export of excellent research.
You will have access to genuine experts in their field.
3. Leading graduates
The University of Sydney graduates are leaders in their fields.
Among the graduates are:
- Four former Prime Ministers of Australia
- James Wolfensohn, former President of the World Bank
- Lord Robert May, President of the Royal Society
- Jane Campion, Academy Award winning film director
- John C.Harsanyi, Nobel Prize-winning economist
- Dennis Richardson, Australian Ambassador to the United States.
4. Range of course choices
From Archaeology to Zoology, you can find almost everything you’re looking for at the University of Sydney.
The University constantly refines its teaching and learning methods.
5. Rich resources
The University of Sydney’s library network comprises 20 separate facilities and holds over five million items in total. There are specialist libraries in medicine, engineering, law and many other fields.
6. Leading in teaching and learning
Our Institute for Teaching and Learning is one of the leading academic development units in Australia. The University has a better staff-to-student ratio than any other university in New South Wales, Queensland or Victoria.
7. A beautiful campus in the perfect location
An exciting mix of traditional and modern architecture, the campus provides you with a unique study environment. The University also has lecture theatres equipped with state of-the-art audiovisual facilities, labs with all the latest technology, and farms and clinics, across nine different teaching campuses in Sydney area.
8. A great social and sporting life
There are hundreds of clubs and societies, cafés, bars, bands, theatre, sports at the University. With a sports association and three sporting complexes (including an indoor heated swimming pool and rock-climbing wall) you can be sure that, no matter what sport you are interested in, you can play it here.
9. Engagement with industry and major corporations
As a student you could benefit from the University’s engagement with industry and major corporations. The University has a strong commitment to supporting the academic community and students in promoting, developing and protecting the University’s intellectual property.
Graduates of the University of Sydney are highly sought after both in Australia and internationally. As Australia’s first university, with a long tradition of excellence in research and teaching, the University of Sydney has a name that stands out in the minds of employers both locally and internationally.
It is perhaps the best-known name in Australian education.
CRICOS Provider: The University of Sydney 00026A